Sunday, May 22, 2011

Puka Kopai - Kopai Dumplings


Samoa, and much of the Pacific, is prone to cyclones. If one of these tropical storms hits really hard, then the natural food resources that Samoans depend upon are severely depleted. When such a disaster happened in the past, food relief and aid came in mainly from New Zealand, Australia, and the US. Now, where am I going with all this seriousness?

Oh yeah, I was trying to give you guys a historical context for kopai. So anyway, because assistance was coming in from benevolent Western nations, the food aid packages typically consisted of flour, sugar, rice, canned fish and canned meats.

In my imagination, the first native cyclone survivors to receive these packages of Western staple foods were probably thinking,"What the -?!? Huh?!?"

But then Samoan ingenuity kicked in. Cooking fires were started up, cans were forced open with sapelu (machetes), and people thought of as many ways as they could to use the foreign white stuff - rice, flour and sugar.

I'm convinced that Samoan classics like sua alaisa, koko alaisa, fa'apapa, panikeke, and alaisa fa'apopo, all originated during a post-cyclone burst of cooking creativity. But prize for the most inventive Samoan dish using only three ingredients has got to be...(drumroll)...kopai.

I mean, how...really, HOW do you take flour, sugar and water and make a dish that's super tasty, stands the test of time, and is beloved by Samoans the world over?

I'll never know. But it's GENIUS.




17 comments:

  1. oh.my.gosh! and just when i thought your blog couldn't get any better...you post a recipe for kopai!!!:) i'm going to do my very best to test this recipe before this baby pops out of me(which should be any day now).thank you, again for making all my samoan culinary dreams come true by posting these delicious recipes for me to try out on my ever grateful & growing family
    p.s. they really liked the cocoa rice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did I not know about these? Oh my gosh, the possibilities are endless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pattersons: I've had so many requests for kopai, I had to really just buckle down and make it...I assume I won't see too much of you once you get busy with baby, but please drop by when you can.

    Twistedkitchen: I know of four kinds of kopai, but maybe there are others

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love u :) u r the bomb.com ..... thanks so much 4 the inspiration and 4 teaching me these old traditions that i can carry on to my children luv it. ummmm time 2 eat ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, thanks for the love...first time I've had that on the blog...lol...Happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just have to say that I am SOOO excited to find this site!!! I have been married to my wonderful FOB Samoan husband, he came from Apia, for 7 years. I have learned a few dishes that he appreciates, but you have so many recipes on here that some of the Samoan women I know seem to be so secretive about!! I can finally start making some food for him that might make him feel like he's gone back to the island. I just need to figure out where to start lol!!! Thank you thank you thank you for putting these recipes up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree Anonymous! I am a palagi woman married to a Samoan man (NZ born). I love my in-laws, but they are so guarded with Samoan recipes! A shame for our children because without my searching I couldnt give them the culinary tastes my husband grew up on!! Thank you panipopos - now I don't have to 'guess' in the dark with recipes....although my hubby did like being the guinea pig! He is also stoked to find your site :) Keep them coming!! Do you have a recipe for Vaifala, or the Banana tapioca type drink my husband raves about?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anonymous and Aionoaiga: Welcome to my blog! The best way to learn Samoan cooking from a Samoan is to stand with them in the kitchen and watch and help...The second best way is this blog...lol...Click on the recipes index and you'll find Vaifala and Poi (the banana drink)...There is also Suafa'i which has tapioca in it. All the best with your cooking, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so excited about this site, but for some reason don't see some of the recipes. I can't see the kopai recipe. My husband would love this. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so excited that I found this blog. (My husband will be even more excited) lol. Anyway for some reason I can't see the kopai recipe. Am I looking in the right place? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love this blog! but is there a reason why some recipes aren't shown? I'm trying to look for the kopai recipe and the kalemoa but I'm not sure if I'm suppose to click on something or what not, please let me know. Faafetai tele lava :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is a reason. Please watch the videos on Youtube on here on the blog for more guidance. Good luck!

      Delete
  12. There's 2 types of flour, I wish you would be more precise and put the measurements as well as
    Which flour to use..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are WAAAY more than '2 types' of flour so I'm not even going to get into that. Use all purpose (unless otherwise stated) because that is for all purposes, including this kopai.

      Delete
  13. Any chance that you'll be reposting the recipes (with the *)?? I've made kopai once before from the recipe on here, and LOVED it so much!! Would muchly appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherise. Everything will be back to normal next year.

      Delete
  14. Hi love this, but can you provide the measurements please? Like how much flour and water, just so we know whether we have the right consistency :) Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete