Saturday, October 30, 2010

Koko Samoa - Samoan cocoa recipe

By panipopos


I believe that Koko Samoa is a comfort drink to Samoans around the world. The smell of the koko while it's simmering away is almost as good as the koko itself, and for me, it brings on many a memory of nights spent chatting with family after being separated the whole day. It's a beverage that you sip slowly while enjoying the warmth of your home, or while spending time with friends. Koko Samoa creates a feeling of togetherness with your drinking companions, a sense of unity because you all appreciate this unique Samoan drink, and even more so, because you are all mannered enough to respect the unspoken rule: Do not stare too long or look too closely at the pegu (grinds) stuck in each other's gums.

Koko Samoa (makes 2 cups)
2 cups (500ml) water
4 tablespoons (24g) Koko Samoa, grated
4 tablespoons (60g) sugar

Bring your water to the boil, then add the Koko. Turn the heat down and simmer for 10-15 minutes to release the cocoa oils and flavour from the nibs. Turn off the heat, and sweeten with the sugar. Pour or ladle into drinking mugs.

Serve hot, always hot. If you let Koko Samoa cool down, you'll be drinking little balls of solidified koko fat.

You can also add milk if desired.

Note on drinking Koko Samoa: Samoans enjoy the pegu (grinds) that you get with every mouthful of drink. Some even strain the drink through their teeth, hoping to have a nice collection of pegu they can chew on at the end (or maybe I'm the only one who does that!). Pegu have the texture of peanuts, but the taste of roasted cacao beans, and I think they're delicious. However, if you are averse to chewing on these, go ahead and strain your koko before drinking it. But then sadly, you will miss out on one of the joys of the experience.

23 comments:

  1. I LOVE kokosamoa. My boss in Oahu is from Samoa and sometimes he brings in breakfast for us. I always eagerly await for his Samoan cocoa. So delicious! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome...Samoan koko is, without a doubt, one of my top three drinks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband is Samoan and I looove koko Samoa! I wonder what the best way to get it from the hard cocoa form to the powdery type form so that I can had koko Samoa more readily available. I usually grate it.. but is there an easier way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to use one of those microplanes that many people use to zest lemons. 😊

      Delete
  4. The most effective way I've found is to scrape at the koko block with a knife blade...Please see the koko samoa video if you're not sure what I mean...thank you for loving Koko Samoa...it's the most underrated flavour of our islands...

    ReplyDelete
  5. any idea where one might find blocks of koko Samoa in the US?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, not sure about that...I would imagine that places in Hawaii, West Coast and Utah would sell it as these seem to be where there are concentrations of Samoan people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mesa is a suburb nearby with a large population of Mormons, and thusly, Polynesians, but most of the Usos I know shop at the Asian markets. There's no Polynesian markets in town. I'll have a look the next time I go...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.kingkoko.com/

      This looks promising :)

      Delete
  8. thank you so much for sharing! I am Tahitian and my hubby is Samoan. I enjoy learning his beautiful culture and love raising our children and teaching them all that i can. Our children love koko Samoa and eating panikeke. They love to listen to all the stories and learn what their father teaches. They do love your panikeke recipe more then their fathers lol! Food plays such a major role in culture, and it is one way i am able to help my children feel closer to their father when he deploys. May you continue to be blessed with all that you do.
    Sending heaps of love and well wishes to ya.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks very much for your comment...The people who use this site are so diverse, I love hearing your stories...So important to pass our cultures on to our children...All the best to your family, especially your kids who have to go from time to time without their Daddy, but never have to miss his food!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello to you all out there,
    I bought the other day Samoan Koko, when I opened it it was very smelly, I never smelled that in anything I've known before, does anyone knows if this is normal?
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for hosting this site, and for sharing your Koko Samoa recipe. I miss having it now that I have returned to the states. I am palagi but Samoan at heart.
    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Laura, glad that you've found the site. Hope you can enjoy regular cups of koko while reminiscing over your time in Samoa.

      Delete
  12. For anyone in chch, you can buy koko from the Hampshire St Dairy and Fruit supply at 61 Hampshire st in Aranui :) it's about $7 for a cylinder about the size of a foam cup

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there i love this page and all these recipes and trying new things ive recently accomplished the pineapple pie which was great now im wondering ive heard theres cocoa rice using koko would i follow this recipe and then add cooked rice? Thanks in advance please do more recipes this is a very interesting site :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What if you make Koko Samoa in a pot , what are the measurements please?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! My mother in law recently brought me home some koko from Samoa. Sadly my Samoan husband doesn't like it, but I sure do! I tried to use not much sugar but his brothers said it needed to be a little sweeter.
    Fa'afetai lava :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, it TASTES fine once you add a bunch of sugar, and I added some cream - nice and rich.

    However, it's a lot of work and waiting around, while you simmer it or wait for it to brew for 15 minutes. Just as easy to make your hot chocolate from powdered cocoa, which is ready pretty well immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Faafetai lava mo tele recipes o mea taumafa Samoa. O a'u ose palagi, ae ou te fiafia tele ile aganuu, mea ai ma gagana faasamoa. Ua leva ona ou sue mo recipes o mea ai Samoa - faafetai tele lava.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah yes . . . Koko Samoa. My Aunt married a Samoan, and once I hit my late teens, I moved in with them for about 4 months. I had thought by the end of my time with them I had tried almost all of their cultural dishes, save but one. As a huge pot of it was simmering on the stove top, I can recall my mouth watering and taste buds tingling in anticipation of what was to come. Obviously, I was not disappointed! I love how comforting it was and how even my Samoan uncles parents and siblings rushed over as soon as they heard there was some in preparation! It's been 3-4 years since I have had it. I bought a big ol' block of it today and am going to introduce it to my Maori whanau tomorrow morning. I'm sure they'll love it as much as I did! Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete