Thursday, July 1, 2010

Panipopo Recipe Video and variations

By panipopos


Today I posted up a video of How to Make Panipopo. Hope that the video, together with the recipe here, make it clear that anyone can make these buns.



Some variations to the recipe are:

  • Use butter, margarine or even shortening as a substitute for the oil. I happen to use oil because I always have it on hand, and it's easier to measure out that the other fats.
  • Use milk instead of the water. You have the scald the milk first (heat until bubbling at the edges but not boiling) then cool it down to lukewarm before using it. Milk makes for a slightly richer dough and helps the buns keep longer.
  • Even better than milk or water, use leftover water that potatoes have been boiled in. Yeast loves this stuff so you'll get quite a rise.
  • If you like a richer, thicker sauce, use 100% coconut milk. I just happen to like a lighter sauce. Another way you can get a thicker sauce is to add 1 tablespoon of flour or 2 teaspoons of cornstarch/cornflour to the coconut milk/water sauce and mix it well before pouring it over the buns.
  • As mentioned in the video, better to bake panipopo in a square or rectangular baking pan. They look better, and they're all the same size so people aren't fighting over who got the big ones.

Manuia,

panipopos

http://panipopos.blogspot.com/

12 comments:

  1. I LOVE your recipes & blog Panipopo's! THANKS for sharing them...many of my non-Samoan friends & family have asked me for these recipes of well-knownSamoan dishes that I've made for them. You've made my job easier in sharing it with them. Fa'afetai tele lava...and keep 'em awesome recipes coming! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your blog I tried your recipe today my family love it :):):):):

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous and Mele: Happy to hear the feedback. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I have enjoyed seeing your videos. My husband is an Islander, but I am not. I am looking forward to making some of the recipes I have looked at. I was wondering if you have a recipe for sua masi? My husband really likes it, but has never been able to find a recipe or anyone who would share the know how with him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I encourage you to try any recipe on this blog, and let me know if it works for you and your husband...As far as I remember, to make sua masi, just heat some milk, add sugar, and then throw in cabin crackers so they are well soaked. Then serve...Sorry I don't have a more detailed recipe as I haven't eaten sua masi in decades...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hiya, thanks so much for the recipe. I tried it today. I managed to make 8 pagipopos but as you warned it's probably to do with different flour and also my measuring instruments(can hardly call them so!) Anyway managed to make the first batch today and am really happy thanks to your clear instructions.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're very welcome! Whenever I asked people how to make panipopo, I always got the summarised version, an outline, and I had to fill in the gaps myself...That's why I decided to go the other extreme and give more details than necessary in the recipe...I really want as many people to know how to make these as possible...So happy you tried these out, and hope that your pagi were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. can you use Plain Flour?

    ReplyDelete
  9. To rise dough faster, use your hot water cupboard or tank. Keep in bowl n cover with tea towel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Place your dough in a warm place, covered. Your hot water cupboard or tank.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a pic of how they came out but idk how to upload it so you could see

    ReplyDelete