Saturday, February 25, 2012

Coconut Cookies

I love masi Samoa. Who doesn't? But I was curious about cookies made with shredded coconut instead of coconut milk. Would the flavour be as good as masi Samoa? Would it be better?


To compare, I tried out two different kinds of cookies: coconut shortbread and chewy coconut cookies. 




I wasn't overly impressed with the shortbread. The coconut flavour was very understated and the shortbread was kind of blah. They even look kind of blah. 




But the chewy coconut cookies were sublime. The cookie was crisp on the outside, chewy on the inside, and the coconut stood out in a nice way. 




At the end of the day, masi Samoa are still number one. But these cookies are a close number two. Try them and see!


Chewy Coconut Cookies
(makes 18)
¼ cup (60g) butter, softened
½ cup (100g) white sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup (125g) flour
¾ teaspoon baking powder
pinch salt
½ cup (40g) coconut


Cream the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Add the flour, baking powder and salt, mixing well. Finally, stir in the coconut. Shape it into a log and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator for at least two hours or until firm.


Unwrap the cookie dough and slice into ¼ inch (5 mm) slices. Place 2 inches (5 cm) apart on lined baking sheets. Bake at 425°F (220°C) for 6 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.




These will soften the day after, so store them in an airtight container, or save all the hassle and store them in your belly, like I did.

11 comments:

  1. Yes! Can't wait to try it... Coconut anything is good in my book-thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! Hope your family loves them as much as I did.

      Delete
  2. I would love to live at your house..where in the world are you? LOL keep those delicious recipes coming ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sau ka eva, but bring your own koko samoa and pisupo because I ain't sharing mine LOL

      Delete
  3. I have been searching for samoan food recipes all over the net & then today I stumbled upon your blog through FB. I'm in love with your blog. I'm expecting & crave all the samoan goodies now I can't wait to begin baking. Thank you thank you thank you! Sincerely Thanking You. I'm a happy mama today. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the cravings. Sometimes you just HAVE to have a keke pua'a or tray of pagi popo and nothing else will substitute. Good luck with your baking and if you have any questions, shoot them through anytime.

      Delete
  4. The coconut in the recipe...is that milk? Im assuming, but rather be sure. Excited to try all ur recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coconut is dessicated coconut or unsweetened grated/shredded coconut. All the best!

      Delete
  5. This sounds really delicious. But I have some questions. How thick will the log be and how many cookies can you make with this recipe? Thanks for all of your recipes. I've tried most of them and they are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So the recipe makes 18. And if you have to cut them into 1/4 inch slices then 18 x 1/4" = 4 and 1/2 inches. That's how long the log should be. Don't make me calculate the diameter and circumference because that would really do my head in. Anyway, I'm sure they'll work out fine even if you don't have every measurement exact. Thanks for trying my recipes and happy you like them.

      Delete