Monday, November 29, 2010

Mika's Coconut Fish

By panipopos

So far on this blog I've done a lot of traditional stuff. Today we're doing something slightly different, just to mix things up. This recipe falls under the heading of 'Samoan-inspired' (see up there, in the title of my blog?). So I didn't grow up eating this, nor do I know anyone else that regularly does. But it comes from a chef working in the islands, so I thought I'd give it a go.

You can find the original recipe here, but as there are few measurements, I'll specify what I used.

Start off with an egg with a tablespoon of milk.

Beat them together and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. 

In another dish, combine half a cup of breadcrumbs and a tablespoon or two of shredded coconut.

Take your fish fillets (I used flounder/flatfish) and dip them in the egg mixture, then the breadcrumb mixture.


By the way, I used panko, but regular breadcrumbs would be just as good.

Melt two tablespoons of butter over low/medium heat, then gently fry your fish until golden brown.

While the fish is cooking, put half a cup of crushed pineapple with syrup, half a cup of coconut milk, and two tablespoons of honey in a saucepan. Cook this over medium heat until it thickens.

Once the fish is cooked, pour your thickened sauce over it and serve.

To be honest, the sauce was a little sweet for my tastes. The colour was not the most appetising either - grey from the coconut milk with yellow pineapple.

However, the fish was divine - succulent and tender, with a nice crunchy crust. Next time I would just skip the sauce altogether and make a nice gravy or simple white sauce.

http://panipopos.blogspot.com

8 comments:

  1. hi! fish looks tasty! this has nothing to do with your current post, but i was wondering if you had a recipe for paifala with pineapple custard filling? i saw the recipe you used on the blog and i'm trying it tonight, but was just wondering if you had one with custard. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, yes I have a recipe for that. In fact, that's my usual recipe, using custard powder. Will post in the near future. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks! ran out of time last night but today,it's on! i'm hoping to take a bite into those scrumptious bits of yumminess later this afternoon:)i guess the real test is finding out what my dad and uncles think about the pies:) wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good luck! I'm sure they taste great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, i made them! the verdict? pie crust didn't come out as soft as i'd like it to be...maybe that's because i forgot to add the butter! til the very last minute-sheesh.it kind of reminded me of masi samoa-still quite tasty. all in all, my dad said he loved it:) so i'll take that as a pass! but i'd still like to work on NOT forgetting the butter and making some soft crust:) thanks for your instruction video-that helped tons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, reminds me of masi samoa too...I'm gonna post my usual recipe soon...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Panipopo, Did you know that your famous? Check out http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/tagatapasifika there is a posting on the 16th Jan asking Tagata Pasifika facebookers's to check your blog.
    And of course I endorsed it cause my waistline thanks you for your great panipopo recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Victoria, I had no idea! Thx for drawing this to my attention...I'll definitely check it out..And lucky you, you still have a waistline...haven't seen mine in months already...lol

    ReplyDelete