Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Keke Pua'a Filling

If I had a FAQ, this Q would definitely be one of the most FA'd. From an email I received today:


Hi Panipopo,
Just wandering how to make the filling for the kekepua'a and what ingredients please.
Thanks

So here's a recipe from an old Samoan cookbook. This recipe is not mine and I have not tested it so there are no accompanying photos. But I wanted to give people a starting point for the filling. Keep in mind that this is a basic recipe, but as always, feel free to jazz it up by adding fresh ginger, sugar or whatever floats your boat.

3 lbs (1.5 kg) pork, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely diced
2 cups (500 ml) cold water
1/4 cup (60 ml) dark soy sauce

In a large fry pan, saute the pork and onion for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add the cold water and the soy sauce and stir well. Simmer until the pork is cooked. Remove from the heat and cover. Set aside to cool until ready to fill the keke pua'a.

10 comments:

  1. Talofa SF, what cut of pork would you recommend? Would pork shoulder do well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carey Ann, pork shoulder sounds perfect...Might take an hour or so to get the meat really tender. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. This filling recipe worked out great! I added a tablespoon of crushed ginger & a little corn flour slurry to thicken. I also separated a portion and added sugar to it, so we could have some sweet & some savory. My hubby (a samoan kiwi) said it came out perfect! (even after I half dumped it in the water trying to get the steaming tray in the pot...) Fa'afetai lava for yet another awesome samoan recipe for this teine afakasi to make!! I'll tag you in the pics I post on facebook :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naomi, thanks very much for adding to this recipe. I love that you made sweet and savory versions. Looking forward to seeing your pics!

      Delete
  3. Hi there, this recipe looks ideal. I was just wondering approximately how many pork buns this would fill?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi was wondering does the brand of the soy sauce effect the flavoring of the filling?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there my partner cant eat pork because hes 7th day so can i change the pork to lamb and will still tastes good?:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tastes great made with lamb.

      Delete
    2. My cousins are seveyz and they do theres with beef.. i made some, by marinating over night and then cooked next day and made some keke puaa (keke povi as they call it) it was gone before the end of the day...

      Delete