Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A guest, some comments and another pie

By panipopos


Tomorrow we have a special guest!
A who-duh-whatwhat?
Yeah, you heard me right - a special guest!


When I faikala (have a nosy) on people's blogs, I invariably find myself on this talented lady's site. I've been lurking on her blog for well over a year now, and her writing never fails to entertain me. It's laugh-out-loud funny, and so relatable.


Who could it be? Who could it be? You'll have to tune in tomorrow to find out. 


Now, sometimes, for one reason or another, Blogger doesn't work like it's supposed to. As it's a free service, I can't really complain. But if Blogger won't accept your comments, feel free to email them to me. Please understand that I can't post your comments up under each recipe because that'd look like I'm leaving feedback for myself, and in Samoa, that would qualify me as a vale.


So here are two comments that were rejected by Blogger but landed in my email box:


Jay wrote
Hi, I tried to post a comment but not sure if it went through so am e-mailing. “i am no cook but this was so easy to follow and i'm so proud of myself - they were delicious!!! faafetai tele lava!!
Not sure which recipe that was for, but very happy that even a novice cook could follow my recipes. 
And Nydia wrote:
Hi Panipopo, 
I can't seem to comment on your blog but I had to email and let you know that I tried the pai fala recipe and it was HIT! It was delicious...so much better than the stuff we buy from the store. I cut down a bit on the sugar though because the fala made it quite sweet. I would try your panipopo recipe, but I'm a lazy baker and it seems less work to buy it from Siaosi's store down the road....but thumbs up to pai fala. Next up is your fruit pie. Will let you know how that goes. 
Thanks for such an awesome blog! 
Alofas, 
Nydia 
Thanks guys! Always love getting feedback.  


Finally, I made something that I think deserves to go in the 'Samoan-inspired' file. They say that 'Necessity is the mother of invention'. Well, it was a 'necessity' for me to get rid of a whole bag of limes that some well-meaning neighbor had left on my doorstep. People around here love to grow things and when the harvest is bountiful, I start getting mystery produce left in shopping bags outside my door. So to the person that left me 50 limes, I say, HA! I made a pie! 
44 more limes to go...






Lime Mousse Pie (serves 12)
makes an 8" (20cm) square pie


Crust:
Make the pai crust and prebake.


Filling and Meringue topping:
4 large eggs, separated
14 ounce (400gr) can sweetened condensed milk
¾ cup (180ml) fresh lime juice
1½ teaspoons finely grated lime zest
⅓ cup sugar
green food colouring (optional)



Put the egg yolks and condensed milk in a bowl and whisk together. Beat in the lime juice and then the zest.


Next, beat egg whites and the sugar until they are stiff but not dry. Fold about half of this meringue into your filling mixture. Add 2-3 drops of coloring if you want a limey look. (And easy on the colouring. It doesn't take much to go from tropical lime to dark forest green.) Pour the filling into the pre-baked crust and bake it for 15 minutes at 350°F (180°C).


Take the pie out of the oven, and turn the heat up to 375°F (190°C). Spread the rest of the meringue over the hot filling and use the back of a spoon to decoratively make peaks and swirls. Put the pie back in the oven for 5-10 minutes until the meringue is golden brown.


Remove the pie from the oven and cool. Then put it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours or overnight.


Because this pie is very rich, cut it into 12 rectangular pieces. Although the filling is a creamy light mousse, it carries an intense lime flavour. 




http://panipopos.blogspot.com 

7 comments:

  1. Wow!! Fantastic blog and recipe on it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. fa'a fataia lava sole! my wife is afakasi, raised by her palagi mother, and I've been searching for great resources like this on fa'a Samoa /especially food ;)/ so our kids can get a 'taste' of their heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for dropping by...um, 'sole' is for guys...I'm a 'suga' (g pronounced ng), but anyway....Really very glad you are exploring your Samoan side...your kids are gonna love you for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talofa sis,
    well done with your cooking, i really enjoyed the youtube load ups of the step by step methods. Your cooking style is inviting and presentation is beatiful; Fantastic! I do not often see Samoan food presented as modern and apetising as your Video's potray. Fafetai, malo lava, Thanks for keeping it simple! God bless :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comment...I'm always happy to hear that people enjoy my work and especially the food. All the best with your cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used your blog to learn Samoan cooking and really enjoyed it ...... thank you

    ReplyDelete